In April 1913, the then Synod of Glasgow of the United Free Church of Scotland elected Wallneuk into a charge, thus was created the last United Free Church in the town of Paisley.
The congregation dates from 1913 although the roots are much older. Before 1913 there were local men and women in the immediate area who met regularly for prayer and meditation on the Word of God.
The name Wallneuk is woven into local history as according to tradition the land on which the church is built was the neuk (corner) of the garden of Abbot of Paisley.
The halls were completed and opened in May 1912 while the main church building was completed during the First World War being opened in the autumn of 1915.
Wallneuk North Church is now located in the middle of a one way system. Despite this it has a very lively congregation ministering to a large parish in the Presbytery of Greenock and Paisley. It tries to cater for all ages in its organisations and groups. It has a firm commitment to the community and the wider world.
As part of our outreach we are involved in the STAR Project based in Wallace St. in the North End of Paisley. This project is also supported by our partner church, St. James’s, along with the other churches in the area.
Following on from this in 2004 we formed an Association with the congregations of St. James’s and St. Ninian’s. We committed ourselves to work together and support each other in ministry and mission to the North End of Paisley. This Association is now known as Network Paisley (Churches working in the North End Together).
We are also members of PACT (Paisley Action of Churches Together) which began in 1992. Members of our church play an active role in this organisation and we are often involved in the planning of worship events.
The Church of Scotland are committed to safeguarding all within their churches and The Safeguarding Policy is clearly displayed on the notice boards. Should anyone want to discuss an issue regarding this please contact Barbara Perrie, safeguarding co-ordinator.